Sneak Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor’s Porch Day is a little over a week away. You could “celebrate” by “sharing” the bounties of your harvest with your neighbors when they’re not looking. Or you could enjoy all that zucchini yourself. Here are some ways to do it:
- Make zucchini bread
- Make zucchini sausage soup
- Make zucchini pancakes – grate 2 medium zucchini (2 cups grated), mix with 2 beaten eggs and 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper to taste. Fry on a pancake griddle.
- Add grated zucchini to an omelet
- Add grated zucchini to a green salad
- Saute sliced zucchini with garlic, onions, and chopped tomatoes. Add mushrooms if you have them. Serve over spaghetti with grated cheese.
- Make ratatouille – you will also need eggplant and green peppers for this
- Add to a stir fry
- Use sliced zucchini as a pizza topping
- Make a zucchini quiche
- Add diced zucchini to a summer vegetable soup
- Roast in the oven with onions, garlic, and any other vegetables you have on hand, such as potatoes, green beans, or carrots. Twenty to thirty minutes in a 375 degree oven should be about right.
OK, those are some ideas to get you started. They should work with all kinds of summer squash, not just zucchini. So, leave your porch unlocked on August 8, invite that zucchini in, and get cooking.