When you come home from the Farmer’s Market, the CSA, or your own garden with a bunch of fresh carrots, don’t discard the carrot greens. They are delicious and nutritious and can be used in a variety of dishes.
Here are some ways to use carrot greens:
- Add them to a stir-fry
- Roast them with other vegetables
- Make carrot greens pesto
- Add them to a green salad
- Use them in place of lettuce in sandwich
- Make a carrot greens omelet
- Make a carrot greens pizza
Here’s a recipe that uses both the carrots and their greens.
Spicy Carrots and Greens
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp each turmeric, coriander, cumin
- 1 lb carrots, sliced, and their greens
Sauté the garlic and onions with a small amount of oil in a large frying pan for about 5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Mix in the spices and cook another minute or two. Add the carrots, stir to coat with the spices, and cook until they are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the greens and cook until the carrots and greens are as tender as you like them. You can add small amounts of water while cooking if needed to keep the vegetables from sticking to the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with rice or the grain of your choice.